7/21/11

What is Talent without Humility?

The manifestation of one’s dreams and heart-filled passions into reality is indeed a feeling like no other. Imagine sitting inside an office cubicle waiting for a major breakthrough in a successful entrepreneurship, intellectual prowess, the performing arts or any other endeavor that keeps you whole-heartedly elated. One day all of your dreams become true and your talent places you in the right place at the right time to make extraordinary things happen. However, there is a slightly hidden and misleading adversary to your talent and its name is ego-tripping. Yes, ego-tripping can make or break a career and the perception of how well you can work with others is not something to be taken lightly.

I remember after being an engineer for five years I embarked on a journey into the manufacturing side of the field. I was excited to try something different and eagerly ready to put my skills to the test. Engineering school certainly does a great job of teaching theory but the reality of how products and services really work is an entirely different experience. I walk into a manufacturing environment thinking I could greatly improve things and let the operators who built our products know how to do so. A huge mistake as the rude awakening unfolds I hear the following several times, “Excuse me who the hell are you and what makes you think you know what you are talking about?” My initial reaction with raised eyebrows was, “Did you just curse me and umm who are you talking to? I am just trying to help you.” It was an enormous struggle to gain the operators respect because not only was I trying to prove myself as an engineer but the operators also thought I was too young and inexperienced to know anything. The lesson I learned from this job is creating an environment of inclusion where everyone’s opinion matters in the decision-making are imperative to a projects success.

The point of the engineering analogy above is to let you know no matter what field you are in always remain teachable. Past successes do not automatically equate to future success. In addition, your talent alone cannot take you to the next level of your personal growth without a strong sense of humility. It is important not to devalue the people who are around you who can share some words of wisdom with you to make you a better person and more successful. Overall, always remember you can never master any art until you study and observe others who have already been successful in the game.



1 comment:

Philip Verghese 'Ariel' said...

Hi Morgan
nice to be here again
great thoughts here
I have one suggestion here
Why don't you provide a follow button so that others can follow your page by clicking on it
best regards
phil