8/2/11

What does your character speak?

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
John Wooden

While growing up, I remember my mother always saying, “when it comes to the good and bad things a person will do, I don’t put anything pass anybody.” Mom still professes this sentiment and I now understand a little bit better, what she means. You cannot simply judge someone by a public persona because if you are around a person long enough the true nature and character of that person will prevail. In addition, life is a character test and based on the situation or circumstance how someone reacts is subject to change. I was born and raised in the south where southern hospitality and charm has certainly always been strong selling points for living in the region. However, as I grown older I recognize some things can be both a gift and curse. The “gift of gab” and persuasion power also known as charm can simply be a conversation piece and not necessarily a strong indication of the true character of a person. This is not to imply that all charismatic people are misleading but always be mindful of placing someone on an unrealistic pedestal of perfection in character and intent. Character authenticity often becomes a thought provoking question when the words spoken by someone do not match the actions that follow. The bible speaks of the fruits of the spirit, which includes: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. On any given day, I can honestly say I do not always exhibit all of these fruits of the spirit. However, I can say I am making a conscious effort daily to display evidence of the fruits of the spirit in my character without any self-proclamations. I am a work in progress and I accept everyone that I meet will never be perfect is terms of being fruitful in spirit without a glitch. However, one thing is certain a person’s character speaks both loudly and silently if I am willing to look beyond a glamorous surface. Overall, as John Wooden once said, “be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”



1 comment:

Philip Verghese 'Ariel' said...

Hi Morgan,
Nice to read this latest writ=up
Very thought provoking one,
Keep writing
Best regards
Phil